So what could be even better then a Churro you ask? UMMMM a Paleo Churro, duhhh! I have made my dreams, and hopefully many others, come true. I swear that these actually taste like the real deal. I had my mom, dad and brother all try and they were a huge hit. It made my belly nice and happy to have one of my old favorites.
I used Ottos Cassava Flour in this recipe, it is the only brand I can highly recommend. They came out perfect. I think I hit the jackpot! Who would have thought that these were possible! They have that perfect crunch on the outside with that soft, chewy inside.
You will need to stay on top of time with this recipe. Make sure you have everything out and portioned before you start. Also, I recommend a professional piping bag, I used a cheap one and the shape didn’t come out as well as I wanted it to. The nice thing is that you can make these into any shape you’d like. I made them into cookies by using a small piping tip and swirling it around quickly so that they stuck together like perfect little pinwheels!
I made these into cookies and gave them out for the holidays! They make the best gifts, I mean, who doesn’t like a Paleo cookie tray? These are also fun to make with the family for breakfast or for fun!
- 1/2 C Water
- 7 Tbsp softened Ghee
- 1/2 tsp fine Sea Salt
- ½ C Cassava Flour
- 1/4 cup Arrowroot
- 3 Eggs
- 1 tsp Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 C frying Oil
- Combine the Cassava Flour, Arrowroot powder and Salt in a small bowl.
- Over low heat melt the Ghee in the Water. Once it is brought to a low boil quickly add in the flour mixture
- Stir quickly until a ball is formed (30 seconds)
- Remove from heat and let cool about 5 minutes.
- Add one egg at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition.
- The dough will look stringy an oily, that is normal. Just keep stirring and making a ball.
- Once all the eggs have been incorporated and the dough is well blended, spoon the dough into a piping bag.
- Heat your oil of preference in a deep pot or a deep fryer. I used Coconut Oil.
- Once the oil is hot enough, carefully pipe the dough into the hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown on each side, about 1 min on each side
- Remove the Churros from the oil and place on a plate prepared with paper towel to absorb the extra oil.
- Sprinkle Palm Sugar and Cinnamon mixture while still hot so it sticks!
These Paleo Churros are so easy to make. I was intimidated at first but once you get into the flow, the only hard part is not eating them directly after you mix them in the sugar and cinnamon mixture (you can still lick your fingers, don’t worry!) Dip these in chocolate, powdered sugar, or whatever else makes you happy!